Total Pageviews

Thursday 22 March 2012

Book Club with 11 year olds

That's correct.
The last three books I have read are suggestions from my students, particularly one 11 year-old boy who (I kid you not) is so sweet and shy your reminded of a kitten but then he speaks and BAM!
There is suddenly an adult in the room sharing ideas and teaching YOU a thing or two!

*I have to remember to not let my jaw drop every time he speaks - bad habit.

 So far these are the books he has lent me...
I didn't even know about Craig Kielburger before this student introduced me to the book 
"Free the Children"
To my surprise, the book is about a  12 year old boy (Craig Keilburger) who becomes an activist against child labor in developing countries like....DHAKA, BANGLADESH!
Amazing coincidence, no?

This is another book that was recommended to me. Another amazing resource for students.

I recognize my bias; I'm a teacher who loves her students. 
BUT
I'm impressed with these students! 
Actually, all the students I have taught so far in both of my practicums are so much more socially aware of things than I ever was in Gr. 6.
 I never read stuff like this when I was 11 years-old.
Heck, even now at 29 years of age I would not have read books like the ones above.
Thank gawd for my students, really. 

Is this embarrassing to admit? A little.
Does it really matter though? Not really.
Why? 
Because it's more important that I was shown something new and to be frank, I'm really much too excited to worry about being embarrassed.
I just added more little wires to my brain, more wires means more connections to bigger ideas.
And bigger ideas always tickle.

Or maybe that's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive