Total Pageviews

Friday 26 August 2016

Can Nature Really Hurt or Heal You?

Only two weeks back in Hanoi and 
already I am feeling a difference 
in my body when I run.

This was the view of one of my many runs in Nanaimo this past summer.


Beautiful scenery, 
warm sun (but not too hot),
slight breeze and soft-forest floors for natural padding.

Ahhhhh - life was good.
I felt like running was time where I could 
think,
breath,
and just find some inner peace.


It made running 17 km somewhat enjoyable.


Okay, maybe not that much...

But now?
I face this kind of thick brush, 
jungle life,
and 
overwhelming HEAT! 


Don't believe me?


Although my legs are NOT in the best shape,
those spandex were dry before I started running.
No only are they shiny after 20 minutes 

BUT

those baby's were DRENCHED by the end of the run.
The kind of "uncomfortable" to "impossibly" wet.
Water was absolutely spilling everywhere
which really means I was a red hot mess of sweat.

Ew.


On average, 
the temperature in Vietnam during the month of August is 
around mid to high 30 Celsius.
Add the humidity 
(the humidity is the amount of water in the air)
and it feels closer to 40 degrees.

A wet, hot, hard to breath air = sweaty mess if you ask me. 


So what to do?
Especially when running is a major component to my workout
regime at the moment?
AND
Decided to do this again this year.


So again, what to do?
Some studies now suggest that running in the heat can almost be 
like training at higher altitudes.
Although not the exact same, the effort of running in the heat is
more challenging than no heat at all.


Either way, 
I am trying to be smart and not 
fretting TOO MUCH about just how bloody slow&sluggish 
I feel.

Sigh*


Although I do miss the mountains and the sea breeze of
my Nanaimo runs...my Hanoi sunsets will have to do.



For now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive