Total Pageviews

Tuesday 10 July 2012

Top 10 Marathons in the WORLD;Ummm yes, PLEASE!

I am no marathon guru, in fact I have only completed two real marathons
in my little lifetime.
But do you know why I like it?
 There not much to do but run & think.
YOU ARE LAUGHING BUT HEY - I MEAN IT! 
How often do YOU take time out of YOUR day to just think?
This is what I do when I run, it's like catching up on sleep but I catch up on my thinking.
If that doesn't work for you?
Put on a podcast, maybe two, run slowly, grandma pace...heck skip or stop to walk
 every 15 minutes if you need a break.
For me, fours hours is the perfect amount of time to just think. 
Piece of cake.


HOWEVER
Did I mention that during the Ottawa marathon (the only one I have ever participated in)
they feed you all the time? Water stations are everywhere (coming from someone who
never wears a water belt thingy this is gRRReat)!
People are cheering constantly, live bands fill the air, wet 
sponges are thrown at you when hot and TONES of free gobs of vaseline are handed out! 
(vaseline is not for lips people - learnt that the hard way)
LAST YEAR THE OTTAWA MARATHON HAD BELLY DANCERS!
Not to mention the view of the river, the parliment buildings, I mean could
go on and on...
WHAT I'M TRYING TO SAY ?
If you can't just think for hours then just watch the SHOW that is all around you!
I swear time will just slip away.

More INCENTIVE YOU SAY?


Okay-okay, let's take it up a notch.
Then why not try being in a different country?
That's right, run a marathon on the
GREAT WALL OF CHINA.
Can you do that? INEED YOU CAN!!!
It's said to be the #1 best marathon in the world 
because it's soooo physical.
(5164 steps to go up and down - yikes!)


The 2nd most popular marathon in the world is Tokyo.
Over 35 000 participants.
Can we say claustrophobic? 
(The Ottawa marathon that had just under 5000 participants in 
the full marathon alone and I remember not being able to move for the 
first 5 minutes once OVER the line - no to Tokyo for me)

3rd best marathon in the world is in Athens Greece, because it's one of the
oldest & longest cities and traditions in the world.

4th is in Scotland, close to where the Loch Ness Monster Nessie lives.
Mmmm.
Guess that would keep me busy, looking the whole time...
Although I'm bound to develop and eye twitch from watching the waters
for Nessie. Or better yet, I would trip and fall and well, game over.
Nope, not gonna run that one.


5th best place (which of course I agree)
is in Switzerland.
The HILLS are alive, with the sound of people short
of breath as they huff and puff up the mountains.
Ahhhh, definitely would love to run 
the marathon in ZERMATT one time in my life.

6th place is in Nice, France.
Too snob...just kidding DORO!

7th is in Rome - WHOA!
(I wouldn't trust the drivers: no driving zone in Italy 
due to marathon....yeah right)
Just saying.


8th is in one of my favourite cities; BUDA-PEST!
Hah!
I have seen this marathon live in person and although done in the 
summer when it's hot-hot-HOT the course is flat and follows 
parts of the Danube and you run from Buda to Pest....
(I didn't know it either but it's two different parts of the city divided by 
a HUGE river in the middle)
COOL!

9th Can you believe it?  THE BOSTON IS NINTH!
And here I was dreaming that the Boston marathon would be top in the world.
Again, I am just a rookie who knows very little about 
all this running business.
Clearly I need to get more informed.
(I also think it's time for a running belt too!)

10th is SAN FRANCISCO
Supposedly you start outside of San Francisco and run towards LA.
Sea breeze and warm hot sun?
WHY NOT!



This being said, I'm getting pretty excited about all these 
fun races and all the RUNNING you can do around the WORLD!



But which one to start with first?


You're right, do the toughest one first!
I CONCUR!
Great Wall of China, here I come...bring it on all you 
bloody stairs you!


Nawww to Nice....to fancy for me.
They'd kick me out of there for sure - 
one snot ball out the nose and I'd be disqualified.


*sigh
Maybe Zermatt in July?
The world of marathon races is my little oyster.
I should probably pick one and start training?

So....yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive