Total Pageviews

Monday 6 August 2012

Sir John vs. Ms.Wells; HEATED TOPIC

I found out yesterday that my dad
(Sir John we like to call him- he's Welsh and has always claimed to be of Royal Blood)
(that's why the moquitos always go after him, he says
"They go for quality Lauren - 
but you don't have to worry about that")


My dad feels very strongly about the issue of foreign aid.
To be specific, the money that Canada gives every year to impoverished countries from
our national GDP.
He is not a fan nor is he fond of this idea at all. 
Why?
Because essentially he thinks that it's a waste of time. 
Not in so many words but at his age (70-ish I think?),
 he has seen so much aid money put in the wrong hands.
He does not trust where the money goes or the organizations
(maybe UNICEF he said)
 which handles the redistribution of foreign aid money.
However, most countries in the world,
specifically the most impoverished countries,
(he points his finger mostly at African countries)
have a corrupt government that take advantage
of foreign aid money.
He doesn't trust where it goes. 
My dad (like most people I would think)
want to see the change in government first instead of 
essentially just "throwing it away" as he thinks.
And my dad is just talking his head off.
Sure, he is adamant about this topic but for good reason.
He is well read, watches the news, 
reads the paper, has even travelled all over the world.
He has first hand examples of  corrpution.
He freaking lived in Africa for a while which
I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW! 
"I'M TIRED OF WATCHING MY MONEY GO TO WASTE!
WHY NOT ST|ART WITH THE GOVERNMENT and THE COUNTRIES BLOODY POLITICIANS FIRST?
I WANT A GUARANTEE THAT MY MONEY
 GOES TO THE RIGHT PEOPLE BUT UNTIL THEN
- IT'S ALL RUBBISH! "
At this point, he was yelling at me.
 We kinda got in a bit of a
HEATED DISCUSSION.

It started when I showed him this...

This was done by UK Aid and I thought a good method of
informing the average person about their countries financial
involvement in International Aid but also
the BILLIONS of lives it helps save. 
So...How much aid does Canada give?  
In 2010, Canada’s aid rose to over $5 billion for the first time. However, the government says aid will be frozen at that level through 2015. Canadian ODA is now equivalent to 0.33 percent of the economy (GNI); the freeze is expected to reduce that figure to 0.28% by 2015. Canada’s current level falls well below both the agreed international target of 0.7 percent of GNI, and the current donor average of 0.47 percent. Canada gives less aid than countries of similar population and economic clout, like Spain and the Netherlands.

Did you know this already? Perhaps you did. 
I had no idea.
But it's an interesting topic - no?
Why isn't Canada giving more foreign aid?
What do you think?

Personally, I would like to have another "discussion" with Sir John.
But perhaps after I get a little more field experience
and can see how this aid really helps impoverished
countries like for instance Bangladesh.

Until then, I'm not saying another
word about it - ha!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive