Total Pageviews

Monday 20 January 2014

Crossing Street in Dhaka = Metaphor of Life

I met an amazing woman a few weeks ago, whom I happened to 
"BUMP" into again this past weekend.
Karen is a Nurse practitioner from the U.S. who's looking at the potential set up 
of future project for nurses in Bangladesh. With only six weeks here, Karen has relentlessly been visiting
facilities and talking to women and looking at the opportunities that nurses have
and/or how they are treated and recognized as nurses. 

SO WHAT ARE YOU SAYING LAUREN?

Karen is brilliant, period. 
And this past weekend she hared her metaphor for life
(WITH ME!!!) 
that she came up with while crossing the streets of Bangladesh.

I had to share this with you.
(don't worry, I did ask Karen first - haha!)



"Traffic circles here in Bangladesh are all about near-collision death defying feats. You arrive in the middle, careening with a flourish into the center of traffic. Maybe that’s the way to experience life, dive head in without a moment’s hesitation no looking to the right nor left, trust destiny and fellow humanity that you won’t be mush, bless your lucky stars when you land nimbly unscathed, be alert to better repositioning, smile sweetly with an apology (maybe?) for later. Usually, I squeeze my eyes shut and brace myself. And instead of the thunderous crash of a collision you’d expect, it’s just boisterous calls, tinkering bells, blaring horns with jostling to make more room for others."

You mean just dive?
Don't look and jump feet first?
Wow.
Crossing the street here is simple - you could wait FOREVER or
JUST GO!
Karen nailed it and of course, said it much more eloquently
than I ever could.

Thank you so much Karen!
I am a better person to met you and
I'm pretty sure it will be hard to forget someone so
strong and interesting!
Thanks for all the support and will keep you posted.

lauren


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive